Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Feeling Green

photo from here, styling by me
When I got out of the car yesterday and walked across the parking deck towards the elevator, there were hoards of people wearing green. I ,myself, wore green, as one does on St. Patrick’s Day. I didn’t want to get pinched. Because of my previous non-green wearing transgressions and other adult coworkers pinching me, I’ll be be first to pinch you for not wearing green on St. Patrick’s Day. I’m pinching you for allll of the pinches I’ve endured. You thought it was just something kids to do each other out of the teachers’ preying eyes, you were dead wrong.


Anyway, I was noticing all of the people wearing green, including myself and thinking how weird it is that this is a thing. In 2015, in the United States, people across the parking deck and throughout the country are decked out in green dresses, shirts, jewelry, hair accessories. I guess it makes sense, everyone in the United States likes to believe he or she is Irish, even if her only connection to Irish-ness is an indentured servant from 200 years ago. But, still. It’s a little much. We all have jobs, I don’t think any of my coworkers got wasted last night and yelled at each other in fake Irish accents (I don’t think they did this because they were all here at 8am not being hung over). This country can barely get organized enough to celebrate any holidays outside of Thanksgiving and the Fourth of July. Somehow, our love of pretending to be Irish brings us all together. We are a weird, crazy nation.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Join the conversation