Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Work on saying I don't know


I don't know about you, but I have a hard time saying, "I don't know." I often get talked into circles because instead of saying I don't know, I work on coming up with an answer. And it's not just about not knowing the answers to questions such as, "Who was the Kind of England in 1500" (although I have gotten a little better saying I don't know to questions like this), it's more of the ones about decisions I'm making or what I'm doing. 

I'm very open to suggestions, most of the time. And I feel as if I have to solve or respond or account for the issue right on the spot. This just isn't how life works. I'm allowed to say, "You know, let me get back to you. I'm not sure." Perfectly acceptable. I want to solve all problems, know all things, have all answers and this just isn't realistic. So, I get frustrated and defensive (wonderful and endearing qualities).

Saying I don't know is a work in progress for me. 

My last quarter of school, I had a teacher I didn't particularly care for (his teaching style, as a person he is quite lovely). I felt that he was trying to confuse me and was less than thrilled to be in a class with him for the third quarter in a row. And I talked to him about this, because I really wanted to get something from his class. I like his assignments and his projects, but the way he asks questions confuses me. He told me sometimes the right answer is simply, "I don't know." And I'd never considered that before.  Then he agreed to try to be less confusing and I agreed to acknowledge I'm not sure what he's talking about. Since then, I've been working on this.

So, that's where I am.  



No comments:

Post a Comment

Join the conversation