Friday, April 4, 2014

Have you been to Monument Valley?


Have you heard about Monument Valley? It’s a beautiful new iOS game by ustwo. I’m not sure where I saw this, but somewhere I ended up clicking on this link to The Verge yesterday and seeing the beautiful features of Monument Valley’s whimsical landscape.

This type! I'm swooning all over it

I’m not one to talk about iOS games, they’re usually lacking. I haven’t found one particularly amazing since Little Things Forever by Klick Tock. Unlike LTF, Monument Valley doesn’t repeat the same motions over and over again and each scene is breathtaking. Seriously, I’m not just using this as a form of speech. If you’ve ever looked at colors and shapes together and thought, “Hmm, that’s pretty” you’ll be awed. This game is awesome; it truly inspires awe (rare).

The use of color and shape and the M. C. Escher-like landscapes and playing style are so original and amazing I can get the game out of my head. As a graphic designer and artist, Monument Valley is some of the best work I’ve seen in a long time (I’m mean there’s a lot of amazing work out there, this games just has it all). The type is beautiful, the titles are beautiful, the scenes, the characters, everything. And, the game is very simple. You just move the scene to connect seemingly impossible pieces together to form a path for Ida.

If you look closely at the picture on the right, you can see the crow blowing Ida's dress back

 Brilliant, I say!

(Also, there is mention of sacred geometry, a deep love of mine, and concepts I work with in my own art.)



It’s $3.99 and I finished most of it while sitting in the vet’s office for 3 hours with Chico. It goes by fast, and I replayed some of it at home. I’ve enjoyed going back through it a second time, I’m not trying to win the level now and have time to enjoy the scenery and beauty of the game. There are only 10 levels, but I’m hoping many more wonderful games come out of ustwo. I’ll have my eye on them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Join the conversation